[LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Jul 7 14:40:29 UTC 2010

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:55:02 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier
>> Ok, got it working in Qtractor:
>> - In Qtractor I've created four tracks with corresponding buses:
>> Formant Synth (1 channel), Carrier Voice (1 channel), Vocoder
>> (2 channels) and Vocoder Mix (2 channels)
>> - All tracks output their signal to their corresponding buses,
>> except for Vocoder Mix which outputs to the Master output buses
>> - Then I've loaded the vocoder LADSPA plugin into the Vocoder
>> track. Input 1 of the Vocoder bus is the carrier and input 2 is
>> the formant
>> - After that I've made the following connections in Qtractor's
>> Connections window:
>> http://linux.autostatic.com/images/2010-07/vocoder-connections.png
>>

> awe! i was afraid to suggest the OP problem had no current solution with
> qtractor, but now i'm terrified :o)
>
> there's the liven proof that nothing beats user imagination!
>
> ps. Jeremy, you seem to grok qtractor innards in a way that's going to put
> a shame on me sooner or later, if not already. please, don't ever stop :)
>
> cheers

Hello Rui,

Qtractor's routing functionality is just so straightforward so after
reading some manuals and viewing some vlogs (all Windows or Mac related)
I thought, this should be possible with Qtractor too. And it is. In a
similar way it is possible to do sidechain compression too, like Daft
Punk is using in their song One More Time
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-0s0pRleg) where the horns get ducked
by the kick.
When it comes to grasping Qtractor's possibilities, it's my main tool
around which I've built my little home studio, and I'm a bit of a
tenacious perfectionist who likes to investigate, research and get
things to work. And if it wasn't for Qtractor I wouldn't be making music
with GNU/Linux right now.

Jeremy