[LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 7 17:40:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 10:21 -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Is there a similar solution with Qtractor possible for audio plugins
> that output midi (e.g. audio->midi pitch detection as provided by
> 'autotalent'), or midi-controlled audio-processing plugins (again,
> such as autotalent). You mentioned this configuration wasn't possible
> before ( http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2010/05/0369.html
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2010/05/0372.html ) -- is that still
> the case?
>
> It seems like the case solved by Jeremy was an "all audio" plugin
> setup with some extra side-chaining (e.g.
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may09/articles/cubasetech_0509.htm#top
> ).
>
> What if you want to use MIDI control as your "side chain" (
> http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may01/articles/advancedgating.pt2.asp
> ) ? Instead of ducking one instrument based on the sound of the drum
> hits, one simply had a midi note-on/note-off during the hit. Or even
> better, a Note-on and an ADSR to control the length and amplitude of
> the "duck".... A good example of this would be using a fast on/off
> repeating "note" in midi to gate an existing signal -- to give that
> old school rave sound to synths (
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjJlUH6eIA&annotation_id=annotation_180979&feature=iv
> ) or "stuttering" vocals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnDMvdVDz4
> ).
>
> Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com

That for audio this could be solved this way is known, even if Rui
doesn't know it himself, but this isn't a good solution, if somebody
wish to use several side chain effects is become to confusing.

AFAIK the MIDI issue isn't solved. Setting up buses for MIDI isn't
possible the way it is for audio, but I didn't use Qtractor since around
two month anymore. I guess I'll make music using latest svn Version
within the next days.