[LAD] Feature request for FIL-Plugins

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Jul 7 22:08:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:56:24PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> But I'm sure that you see the benefit of a single plugin standard as VST
> pretty much is on windows. Anyway, there's no easy way to solve the
> multiple-standards thing in Linux land apparently.

A single standard would be a good thing. But in the field of
audio plugin standards all Linux efforts have had the same
approach: to make things as simple as possible in order to
avoid scaring away even the most unprepared would-be authors.
With the result of ignoring any form of real analysis, or
pushing it into the future.

This is *not* the case for most of Linux. For the system level
the UNIX heritage, POSIX, existing networking standards, etc.
have dominated its design. None of these were defined in the
way Linux audio standards typically are.

The only exception is Jack which has hit its target right
in the center, even if IMHO it will sooner or later benefit
from a rather invasive and incompatible cleanup to remove
the scars and deformations it incurred while climbing the
learning curve.

> One thing that I'm wondering about though, what about NASPRO? Do you
> think it might be able to wrap around your plugins and bridge to lv2?
> http://naspro.atheme.org/about

If there's one thing I do detest down to the center of my bones
it is such wrapping of layer upon layer to transform A into B.

And if NASPRO would be able to 'bridge' my system, it would still
require extensions to LV2 which is its base, the same that would
be required without NASPRO. Nothing at all is gained by doing this.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.