[LAD] midi stream error analysis

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 9 13:18:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:04 +0200, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Friday, July 9, 2010, James Morris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any software which will tell me of 'errors' in the midi stream?
>
> kmidimon
>
> > I'm having trouble with notes which hold for too long and want an easy
> > way of eliminating (or not) missing note-off events.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > James.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

Yes, it's only possible to monitor the data. Do the notes really hang
(never stop) or are they played with a too long note length?
If the notes never stop and the MIDI monitor confirms that all data is
send correctly, than the level of the MIDI output might be to low, OTOH
this should not only effect note off data. Hardly probable but some
external equipment might have problems with note length, that are
extremely short. Quite possible is, that to much data is send by just
one MIDInterface, hence the software-UART-handshake might miss some
bytes, anyway strange that just note off is effected. I guess note
length issues are usual for some drum pads in combination with some MIDI
instruments.

Is this issue for MIDI inside Linux or when using the hw MIDI?

- Ralf