[LAD] PCI MIDI jitter - comparison Ubuntu (bad) and Suse (might be ok)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 11 18:36:01 UTC 2010

I don't run desktop effects, obscure deamons, screen savers, firewalls
and there are no USB devices connected etc..

The NVIDIA 7200 GS already is a replacement for the ATI Radeon X1250,
I'm not able to buy a new card all the times and the issues don't seem
to be caused by the graphics, but e.g. for Ubuntu Studio, because of a
bad kernel, without rt patch.
Perhaps I should set up the prio for the sound cards for my other
Linuxes, to maybe get less then 1ms jitter. Note, for PCI I do have
around 1ms jitter and for the USB device around 2ms jitter if the Linux
is set up correctly, but at least 2ms jitter (USB) are too much, perhaps
1ms (PCI) is ok.

Yes, opto S/PDIF out already is connected to the other card's opto
S/PDIF in, but they still are two separated cards and I didn't edit
master clock.

It's just for testing purpose, that I'll try to make them one virtual
card, because I much more would like to use one card for audio, but by
using the good sound quality AD/DA converters from one of my DATs via
S/PDIF. The second sound card should be just to support a second
separated MIDI output.

This howto, http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html , is
less confusing, why isn't it good for my Envy24 cards? On the quick I
couldn't find a howto among your links.

Thanx,
Ralf