[LAD] meta issue tracker idea

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Jul 13 18:25:58 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Philipp Überbacher's message of 2010-06-16 01:34:24 +0200:
> Excerpts from Renato's message of 2010-06-05 13:45:54 +0200:
> > On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:18:02 +0200
> > Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > this is all about making Linux Audio more useful.
> > > The idea came about because on the one hand there are parts of Linux
> > > audio that really need some coders attention and on the other hand
> > > there are coders who don't know where to start. I realize that there
> > > never are more than enough coders, so this is mainly about bringing
> > > attention to the parts that need it the most.
> > >
> > > To a degree it's what bug/feature trackers are there for, but those
> > > are usually per application, and while there are category and priority
> > > systems in place those are rarely used.
> > > So what this is also about is bridging a gap between users, developers
> > > and between applications.
> > >
> > > It would be quite simple really.
> > > An easy to find, central place, possibly a wiki or a tracker.
> > > Anyone, a user most likely, describes his workflow and what the
> > > showstopper is. This could be applications not syncing properly, or an
> > > essential but missing feature. The idea is to tackle mainly
> > > infrastructure and cross application problems, with the goal to make a
> > > workflow actually work.
> > > The user should have to specify all relevant information available,
> > > such as version information, links, probably some kind of priority or
> > > urgency indication and how hard he believes it would be.
> > > He could also put up a reward of sorts, not necessarily monetary.
> > > Any developer could pick up the task and work on it, possibly leaving
> > > a notice.
> > >
> > > The possible benefits I see are:
> > > a) A kind of overview of what's needed the most, one place where you
> > > can see what's actually important to users.
> > > b) A way to identify and fix problems between applications -
> > > something I believe is very important for a system that encourages
> > > the use of multiple applications at once. I believe there are numerous
> > > synchronisation/transport issues for example which are never really
> > > tackled, despite this being a very important part of the
> > > infrastructure. c) Emphasis on actual workflow and usability.
> > > d) It would work for any program, even those without tracker and those
> > > that aren't high profile and aren't usually in the center of
> > > attention.
> > >
> > > Could this work? What do you think?
> >
> > As a user, I think this is a great idea - and a much needed one given
> > that, as Philipp points out and as we all know, the linux audio system
> > really works only with multiple interacting applications.
>
> Sorry everyone that I'm very slow at replying, especially to long and
> elaborate mails (this is not one of those). I have important exams this
> month, so I have neither a lot of time nor mind for it. However, I'll
> try to keep the idea alive.
>
> > I think it would even be quite easy to set it up.
>
> I believe so too, at least in the simplest form, a wiki.

> [...]

I do have more time now, but since very few devlopers showed interest
in the idea I have to assume that either the problems I saw aren't very
common (yet?) or the solution is considered not helpful. Anyway,
there's little interest in it at this time, maybe the idea will be picked
up at a later time. I won't spend time on it now and I would like to
thank everybody who put thought and time into it.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan