[LAD] ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Jul 14 13:52:09 UTC 2010

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> 1.
>
> I disconnected all audio connections for JACK and connected hw MIDI in
> to hw MIDI out.

Is this connection through JACK or through ALSA, i.e., does it show up
in the output of "aconnect -l"?  From what I understand, JACK's sample-
synchronous timing always adds latency, and might add period-related
jitter depending on the implementation.

> Yamaha DX7 --> Alesis D4 results in a 100% musical groove.
> Yamaha DX7 --> PC --> Alesis D4 results in extreme latency,

With a single MIDI loopback cable, the latency test program tests
a "PC --> PC" connection.  A more realistic test would be
"PC1 --> PC2 --> PC1" (or just one PC if it has two inputs and two
outputs).

Regards,
Clemens