[LAD] controlling access to the sound card

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 14 19:25:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 15:02 -0500, Jason Butler wrote:
> I have three applications that want to use the sound card, two audio  stream players, and a voip phone.
> I want to set up linux so that if a call comes in on the phone the OS
> will disconnect the audio players, give exclusive access to the voip
> phone, and then when the phone is done reconnect the audio players to
> the sound card.
>
> How can this be done?

Regarding to the German Wiki PulseAudio should be able to handle stuff
like this. While PulseAudio is a PITA to many Linux audio production
users, IIUC PulseAudio should help for needs as yours. Of course you
have to code apps, resp. to use apps that were programmed for usage with
PulseAudio.

I've got no knowledge about this!!, but if PulseAudio shouldn't be able
to handle this kind of things, than I wonder what the advantages of it
should be.

Unfortunately the Wiki on English isn't that informative as the German
Wiki ... I anyway didn't read the complete German Wiki.

- Ralf