[LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jul 15 07:57:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:14:45AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > Apart from that, it remains to be seen if *real* timing errors of
> > +/- 2 ms do 'destroy the groove'. To test this, make the same
> > recording
> >
> > - without jitter,
> > - with 1 ms jitter,
> > - with 2 ms jitter,
> > - with 3 ms jitter.
> >
> > and check if listeners are able to identify which is which,
> > or at least to put them into order.
>
> I know very gifted musicians who do like me and they always 'preach'
> that I should stop using modern computers and I don't know much averaged
> people. So the listeners in my flat for sure would be able to hear even
> failure that I'm unable to hear.

I'm sure they would be sensitive to bad timing.  But that's not
the question. Would they be able to identify the recordings listed
above ? Until you try it you won't know, and your claim that 2 ms
of jitter 'destroys the groove' is pure conjecture.

> Anyway. this crowd shouldn't be the benchmark for good music. Am I
> wrong?

It's not about what 'good music' is. The question is if midi jitter
of 2 ms does degrade the quality of a rendering.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.