[LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

Jeremy autostatic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 12:16:00 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:
> Okay, last message for today.
>
> Eventually I could partially reproduce. If I create a stereo Vocoder
> track FIRST, then the latter mono carrier and modifier tracks would
> channel into Vocoder provided I press "monitor" on it. But the output is
> a weird mix of vocoded signal and the modifier. If I change modifier and
> carrier places - the signal does not change. Why would track creation
> matter I do not know. Rui?

The reason why you get a mixed signal could be because you use both
outputs of the Vocoder track. The vocoder LADSPA plugin outputs the dry
signal on the second output and the vocoded signal on the first output.
That's why I connected the first output of the Vocoder track to both
inputs of the Vocoder Mix track, like this you have faux-stereo and
better control over the output of the Vocoder track.

> Also, when Vocoder does not receive anything, it starts to generate
> XRUNs, so if you close Qtractor while Vocoder is activated, Qtractor
> will freeze.

The more bands you select in the vocoder LADSPA plugin, the more CPU it
takes, so bigger chance for xruns. I didn't thoroughly test this setup
yet so it might be something else.

Best,

Jeremy