[LAD] Midi tempo sync'd live drum machine

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Jul 15 20:14:43 UTC 2010

On 15 July 2010 20:27, Nathanael Anderson <wirelessdreamer at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I don't find anything I want to hack something together, so a primer on
> midi tempo sync, and how to program with it would be appreciated.

Hi Nathanael,

I'm using JACK MIDI which makes it quite easy (compared with designing
the program architecture) to output MIDI events.

I'm also trying to use JACK transport to a) sync with other timebase
master programs, b) to act as a simple timebase master.

The JACK timebase and transport documentation focuses on using JACK to
accomplish these tasks.
see here:  http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/transport-design.html
There is also a transport example in the examples directory within the
source code for JACK.

But these documents do not go into the issues you'll come across when
trying to accurately synchronize your application with another. Or
accurately acting as timebase master (ie you've recorded some audio
sequenced by your MIDI program acting as timebase master but it does
not line up when imported into a DAW with the same tempo/meter).

Beyond this, you'll have to look into other software source code
(AFAIK). But it's far from trivial.

Cheers,
James.