[LAD] [Somewhat OT] Strange failure mode of a PC

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Jul 18 13:50:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:33:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> True for the most part, but please do not place the common Freon TF in that
> category when magnetic media is involved.  15 years ago at the tv station,
> I got tired of paying for Freon-TF by the gallon, and cleaning the heads on
> all our VCR's 2-4x daily, and tried cleaning one with paint thinner alcohol
> from ACE Hardware.  I didn't have to clean it again for a week!  So I
> switched cleaning agents on the spot.  And it turned out that Freon-TF was
> also much harder on the elastomer parts like pinch rollers.  I cut the time
> spent cleaning heads and rollers by 90%.  Roller replacements went way down
> too.

True. I've never seen Freon being used for head cleaning except on
the old 2" video machines where it coud be sprayed on the moving
tape (even on-air in some cases) just before the rotating head.

For everything else alcohol was used.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.