[LAD] [Somewhat OT] Strange failure mode of a PC

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Jul 18 13:56:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 02:37:54PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> it can't be totally sealed, as that would require an expensive
> gasket. my guess is that the way servers are designed, air is drawn
> in through the front (the "cold aisle" in datacenter lore), and
> expelled through the rear (the "hot aisle"). after some years of
> use, it's not so unlikely for gunk to accumulate pretty much
> anywhere in the path of the airflow.
> and the conductivity of pure industry-strength gunk should never be
> underestimated.

Yes, dust will accumulate everywhere. But this switch was well
outside the normal airflow paths, and the outside was clean.
The 'dirt' was indeed a thin film, as Gene suggested.

The machines are configure to reboot after a power failure,
but not if they think they have been switched of manually,
which was what happened.

Meanwhile the second ADI-648 power supply has gone, as the
first one during a night with several city-wide power cuts.
I'm not really impressed by that very big UPS. Or there is
something wrong with its installation.

Ciao,

--
Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais
nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait.