[LAD] May I asked something OT?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 18 19:57:06 UTC 2010

A lot of kids wish to have a kill switch for their guitars.
A kill switch is a short circuit, to 'stop' the audio signal.

I'm not fine with this solution, but the kids argue, that e.g. an
interruption does cause unwanted noise, especially for over drive
sounds. IMO even using opto-electronics won't solve the issue, because
the noise of the transistor overdrive effect still would be hearable,
while for a short circuit there is silence.

Has anybody an idea to solve this without a short circuit?

I'm really not a fan of short circuits. Note, it's not possible to do an
interrupt all the times behind the latest noise generator and even an
interrupt could cause noise itself, while a short circuit indeed is a
good way to cancel sound.