[LAD] Linux Plumbers Conference: Call For Papers

Lennart Poettering mzynq at 0pointer.de
Sun Jul 18 23:24:32 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18.07.10 09:54, Niels Mayer (nielsmayer at gmail.com) wrote:

> Certainly a conference like this could get one of the local
> universities to sponsor a facility and get control over pricing? I
> hear there's even some of open-source people at MIT. Are they going to
> telecast?
>
> At $90.00 an hour, this might not be the end of the linux plumber I
> want to see...

Well, as usual people who get presentations accepted will get a free
ticket (and more: dinner and stuff). Also there's a good chance that
speakers get their travel sponsored.

I can only encourage everybody to submit a presentation if you work on
the lower userspace layers of audio or upper kernel layers. This is
certainly one of the (if not the) most important conferences where the
Linux platform is discussed. There is no other conference like it, where
you get access to all the people who actually do the work in pushing
Linux forward.

Yes, for non-speakers there's an entrance fee. But then again it's
simply the best technical Linux conference around and all the core
people are there. The signal-to-noise ratio is very high. Higher than at
any other conference I have ever been to (and believe me, I have seen
more than most).

So, if you want to push the audio infrastructure forward, come, even
better submit something. Mark Brown and I are running the track about
Audio and welcome every talk proposal.

Also note that there are some areas related to audio (like RT) very well
covered at the conference, with all the core and influental people
around. It's not only about audio but everything on Linux, and even if
your focus is Audio neighboring areas (such as RT) are very important
for your work too!

In particular, I'd like to put some pressure on the pro audio folks to
send somebody to the conference. The last time we had the driver,
embedded and desktop areas well covered, but pro audio fell through the
cracks. If you want to be heard, and make sure that the particular
problems of pro audio are understood and recognized by the kernel and
system development community of Linux, then give at talk! Of course,
just because you talked at LPC nobody will just fix the problems for
you, but what *will* happen is that other folks learn about the problems
and can work with you to share infrastructure or make suggestions how to
fix them, because often enough the problems in one area are very similar
to those already discussed or fixed in othe areas. You will benefit, the
pro audio community will benefit, and Linux in general will benefit.

Submit something! We'd be delighted to receive submissions from the pro
audio community -- and everybody else working on audio on Linux!

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.