[LAD] "El-Cheapo" software-only equivalent

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jul 21 07:43:21 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 04:45:56 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 10:24 AM, rom wrote:
> > Hi all, i'm new to this list.
> > I'd like to ask some advice about a small multitrack recorder program i
> > wrote, and have been using for some time. Basically, what it does is to:
> > - simultaneously capture sound from several consumer-grade soundcards.
> > - use libsamplerate to stretch the audio streams, re-syncing them to the
> > one chosen as "master". The stretch ratio is continuously re-calculated
> > to make the overall frame count of the stretched stream match the
> > overall frame count of the master.
> > - write the "corrected" streams plus the "master" stream to parallel
> > .wav files using libsndfile.
> >
> > The purpose is the same as the quite famous "El-Cheapo Howto" (
> > http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/el-cheapo ), just with no
> > soldering involved :-)
> >
> > Of course, i know the solution is far from perfect, but i use it to
> > record some friends of mine who play in a blues/punk band, and the
> > result is not that bad.
> >
> > Now, the question is: do you think this piece of code can be of any
> > interest for someone out there?
> > Do you think i should i publish it on an open source repository ? Or
> > maybe there's already some other software i'm not aware of, that does
> > the same thing?
>
> Absolutely a very useful addition to the toolset. Please do release it.

Altough I fear a new round of discussions about clock-syncing coming up.

So please, if you create homepage for the app, state the problem and the fact
that your (nice!) app is not a solution but only a patch to the problem...
Otherwise it might well be that people complain to you about their recordings
sounding less good then with a real multichannel device. And people
complaining here that with apps like yours, the market for multichannel
devices should be dry within weeks...

Have fun and keep on hacking,

Arnold