[LAD] Floating point processing and high dynamic range audio

JohnLM johnlm at apollo.lv
Wed Jul 21 15:52:21 UTC 2010

  Hey, fellow devs!
I'm a newcomer to this mailing list and I'm sure this has been discussed
here at some point, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm a bit better on programming side than on audio-tech side so...
  - Does all floating point formats mandate valid values in [-1.0, 1.0]
range?
  - How does floating point (and perhaps fixed point/integer) values
relate to dB notation?
  - If I muliply float by 2.0, do I get twice the sound pressure or
twice the sound intensity, or something else?

Well as for internal processing. If I mostly use integer formats for
inputs, it doesn't appear I gain anything from "normalizing" them (scale
to [-1.0, 1.0]) during internal processing. I just output integer part
directly to integer formats (adjusted for different bit resolutions when
necessary), and normalize only when saving to float format. What do you
think?

Proprietary formats such as AC3 and DTS market themselves as high
dynamic range. Do they use values over 0dBFS or do they just have higher
bit precision than "standard" formats?

Thanks!

-- JohnLM