[LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

JohnLM johnlm at apollo.lv
Wed Jul 21 21:35:37 UTC 2010

On 2010.07.21. 21:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On 2010.07.21. 20:40, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> I guess the transit time issue for analog isn't solved. When I worked
>>> for Brauner we and SPL developed a surround microphone + SPL mixing
>>> console. IMO it's pure bullshit.
>>>
>>> http://audio.uni-lueneburg.de/seminarwebseiten/audiomedien/frst/material/ICA5.jpg
>>> http://audio.uni-lueneburg.de/seminarwebseiten/audiomedien/frst/material/asm5.jpg
>>>
>>> Perhaps today there is math for virtual effects, I don't know, but I
>>> would be very sceptic.
>>>

>> I'm sure any digital alogrithm are far from perfect to represent the
>> acoustic attenuation (and related) effects like in real world. But it
>> just need to be close enough.
>>
>> Ummm... I somehow fail to see how the microphone rig is related to this.
>
> This is around 10 years ago, it might be that a lot of issues are solved
> today. Anyway, regarding to psycho-acoustic the artificial head, just
> stereo, isn't that bad.
>
> Just keep in mind that we have two ears and any math or analog recording
> with more virtual ears is suspect, regarding to a natural impression.
>
> JUST 2 cents,
>
> Ralf

True. But this is of no concern for my program. It doesn't try to
emulate psycho-acoustics of human perception. IMO that would be a
problem of acoustic engineers.

My program just tries to translate sounds in virtal space to audio track
of one, two, six or whatever else number of channels as best as it can
doing it automatically.

The project was started when the amount of sounds in a video ("foley"
sounds, background effects and such) was becoming more than I wanted to
deal with manually with a DAW. And I couldn't find any FOSS alternative.

If it is of interest to anyone, program (non-working draft of program)
is located here.
https://launchpad.net/mage