[LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 21 21:18:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 22:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> @ nonsense and bullshit, where are the examples that it works?
>
> There is no valid recording with more than 1 or 2 channels, regarding to
> a natural impression. Some art projects that didn't try to give a
> natural impression are something very, very different.
>
> Most audio engineers still fail regarding to stereo and mono issues. I
> wonder about the geniuses who are able to do 5.1 and all the other
> stuff.
>
> Please post links to the geniuses work, but call me names.

It's unimportant what are my thoughts about those links, I'm unable to
listen, because I'm reduced to stereo, for good reasons.

But I would like read what people who do have 3D equipment do feel,
while listening to those perfect 3D recordings.

I do agree, that 3D could be good, but it never ever will sound natural.

There is no perfect building to the context for stereo or mono and there
also is no perfect way to use 5 or 7 audio channels.

A lot of people, even a lot of those who you respect, tried it and I
never meed someone who preferred mono or stereo to surround.

Btw. sometimes I do fail too, so I don't insist that I'm not mistaken,
to the contrary, it would be a win for me too, if I should fail with my
opinion.