[LAD] Floating point processing and high dynamic range audio

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 21 23:05:01 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Paul Davis's message of 2010-07-21 19:26:40 +0200:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM, JohnLM <johnlm at apollo.lv> wrote:
>
> >  - If I muliply float by 2.0, do I get twice the sound pressure or twice the
> > sound intensity, or something else?
>
> you get samples that are twice as loud. this doesn't have a linear
> relationship with sound pressure or intensity or perceived volume
> other than "its louder"

I think the word loudness is a problem here. Afaik it usually refers to
how it is perceived, and twice the amplitude doesn't mean twice the
perceived loudness. It may mean twice the sound pressure level, energy,
or intensity (if we ignore analogue anomalies, as you wrote in some other
answer).
It may be nitpicking, but I found it important to differentiate between
the physical phenomenon and the perception. I like Musimathics by Gareth
Loy for the good explanations and clear use of terms. It actually
succeeds in explaining everything in clear and easily understandable
terms, I can recommend it for the writing style alone.
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan