[LAD] twice as loud

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 23 15:31:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 11:13 +0100, Frank Smith wrote:
> Hi All
> I was under the impression that every 3 db increase doubled the volume
> and you needed to increase the power needed by a factor of 3 . Things
>  could have changed by now but this is what I use.
>

> Cheers
> Bob

And ... 1 KHz sine wave vs music @ the same dB ... the basis has to be
noise, representing the frequency spectrum regarded to the sensitivity
of the human ear?! Or to usual music, usual speaking? ... dB is some
artificial thingy itself.

A paradox, dB for audio claims to be related to the human ear.

I heard about 3 dB, 6 dB and 10 dB as twice as loud.