[LAD] Solved: No Flash audio. With a question.

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Sat Jul 24 21:42:42 UTC 2010

As usual, the nature of the problem becomes clearer
 immediately after I form my question and post it.
So let me re-phrase the problem and question:

I think these issues are part of a more general
 bug with ALSA + envy24.

ALSA is not able to change the envy24's sample rate.
This requires the user to manually set the rate in the
 envy24control mixer before starting any ALSA based app.

With Flash, it is simply playing through ALSA using
 whatever the default ALSA sample rate is.
In this case that's 48000Hz, (or so each *believes*).
But the true rate is set by the envy24control mixer
 which by default is 41000Hz.
Thus when playing Flash videos, the audio is the wrong
 pitch and too slow.

I now recall Amarok has the same problem.

And certainly, when starting Jack with the ALSA back end, I must
 set Jack's sample rate to match envy24control's sample rate.
Otherwise the audio is wrong.

So the solution is one of the following:
1) Fix the bug. ALSA should change the envy24's sample rate.
2) Change the default ALSA sample rate to 44100Hz. (How to do that??)
3) Do it on an app by app basis setting each app's sample rate
    to match envy24's rate.

The original question is still valid though - even if the bug was fixed
 and ALSA was able to set envy24 to 48000Hz when starting Flash,
 what if I want to play Flash videos at 44100Hz? How to do that?

These issues may have been fixed in the year or so since my
 current distro. Must check.

Thanks again. Tim.