[LAD] twice as loud

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jul 25 11:32:01 UTC 2010

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-07-23 12:13:32 +0200:

> > > All of these affect both masking and loudness.
> >
> > Yep, but maybe some of the other possible factors match one phenomenon
> > but not the other.
>
> Indeed. As I said, this relation between 'loudness' and masking
> is pure conjecture, I have no hard arguments pro.

I had some more thoughts regarding masking.
If B masks A == B twice as loud?
Is it that simple?

The timing definitely plays a role in both cases.
When the masking actually happens, we can't tell that it is twice as
loud, we need the temporal distance.
We also can't tell when the time between the two sounds is too long.
Hence, we need a very specific time window to approximate the masking
effect of B with regards to A. Same is probably true for the loudness.
I didn't actually try to guess/judge a probable masking effect, but it
would be a nice experiment.

--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan