[LAD] twice as loud

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 19:26:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Upgrade: You might be right, but ...
>
> with the exception for a non-life-threatening situation.
>
> Yes, one day some people would be able to do perfect 3D acoustics for
> music, but NOT FOR REPORTAGES. Imagine you are climbing an antenna mast.
> The recordings of the helmet camera and of the microphones is of of the
> context, no adrenalin etc..

True, there's still even further things that simply cannot be studied.
 For example, we know that 120dB acoustic sounds have their own
sensations different from softer sounds.  However, if we expose people
to sounds that loud we would cause hearing loss, which is unethical.
Same thing goes for investigating some effects like you describe--we
couldn't quantify those things mostly because we couldn't duplicate
real world situations and in many cases, it wouldn't be ethical to do
so.

To describe the things we can study ethically and scientifically, use
numbers.  For everything else, use words :)