[LAD] [LAA] announcing envy24control, mudita (*) edition.

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 01:09:18 UTC 2010

[trimmed down reply-to linux-audio-dev at lists.linuxaudio.org]
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM, john ffitch <jpff> wrote:
> Any chance of an option to envy24control to allow colour blind people
> to see three zones?  I had been using it for years before I was told
> that there is a red section at the top and green below
> ==John ffitch

John --

Thank you for writing and you'll be happy to know that the new
"mutida24" (to avoid confusion with the old and overly colorful
envy24contol) does not use coloration in the same way, and yes, I'd
imagine the old choice of colors would be particularly bad for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Red-green_color_blindness
.

Although there's been some recent minor changes, this is the look of
the new meters:
http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/Screenshot-Envy24Control-MonitorInputs.png
http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/Screenshot-Envy24Control-MonitorPCM.png

Hopefully, at least for any colors at issue, there is enough contrast
against the background to make it properly visible. Please let me know
of any specific issues w/ the simplified, and more X-efficient meters
in this version, which try to be less eye-candy, and more useful for
making a visual level determination of inputs, outputs, or digital
mixer inputs.

The peak metering features a green/white/orange/red progression of the
peak color (the thin band that stays fixed while the meter below
bounces around). But in
addition, and more helpful to you, are he peak-level readouts in dBFS
from -48 to 0dBFS for all inputs and outputs, including in the "Analog
Volume" panel. The 0dBFS label is red with white background, whereas
the other levels remain black with white background. That should
provide enough redundancy in the metering to not hide important
information from you. However, I'm not sure of the perceptibility, of
the red "0dBFS" marking. On the other hand, it does say "0dBFS" (in
red) which is quite different-looking than, say "-5.02" (in black)

In http://nielsmayer.com/envy24control/Screenshot-Envy24Control-AnalogVolume.png
the green (at 0dB) and red (+6 +12 +18) markings on the ADC would not
be very useful for you; fortunately, the "+" should be visually
distinctive from all the other "-" markings in blue. Other
alternatives would be Bolding amplification values, and underlining
unity gain.

Thanks,

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com