[LAD] [LAA] announcing envy24control, mudita (*) edition.

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Wed Jul 28 22:40:49 UTC 2010

On 28 July 2010 19:41, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I thought this one
>> http://jwm-art.net/Screenshot-Envy24Control-MonitorInputs_bg_002100.png
> would leave some people wondering about monsters and dark closets for
> whatever lurks behind the meters when no sound is displayed. :-)
>
>> http://jwm-art.net/Screenshot-Envy24Control-MonitorInputs_bg_243620.png
> is a good compromise -- I'll change the code to that unless someone
> has a better color choice, or the colors are found to be nauseating to

I still think perfection lies somewhere between the two :-)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder as  bees hurl
Ahem, misread that as a rather unpleasant condition which happens in old-age.

> Also, you mentioned there was a problem with CPU usage and sluggish
> response. I haven't heard of any other complaints along these lines,
> so i'm wondering if you did something to resolve the issue, or if you
> might be able to do some more debugging:

No, I've not resolved the issue. I could do some more debugging though.

> What X server are you running, or rather, are you running on a
> particularly slow, totally unaccelerated server? Or an ATI Catalyst
> (closed-source) server which is known to have poor X performance. Is
> the CPU usage coming from the new 'envy24control' or the X server? If
> it's in envy24control -- could you find out where or what it's doing?

I'm running X.org X Server 1.8.2 (kernel 2.6.34-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP PREEMPT)

nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
NVIDIA GLX Module  195.36.31  Thu Jun  3 08:59:25 PDT 2010

Yes, the CPU usage is from envy24control. Somehow, strange as it
sounds... The higher the volume, the higher the CPU usage... Or, if
the audio output is continually loud, it seems to overload the meters
and CPU usages rockets.

Two illustrations:

high: http://jwm-art.net/envy24_1.0.0_cpu_usage.png
low:  http://jwm-art.net/envy24_1.0.0_cpu_usage2.png

Let me know anything else you want me to try, or of further info you
may require.

Cheers,
James.