[LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

JohnLM johnlm at apollo.lv
Thu Jul 29 12:35:19 UTC 2010

On 2010.07.28. 22:06, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> If you use 2nd order AMB and a good AMB->5.1 decoder the results
> should be very good. The combimation AMB panner + AMB->5.1 decoder
> is in fact a 5.1 panner, but quite a sophisticated one. You could
> put one of theae in each channel, but since the second part is the
> same for all it's more effficient to do it after the mixing, in
> other words use an AMB mixing bus.
>
> Compared to conventional 5.1 pairwise panning the result will be
> more even, without emphasising the speaker locations as would be
> the case otherwise. In other words, the sound will be much less
> seem to originate in the speakers.

I stumbled on your own AMB-Plugins. :)
They seem to do pretty much what I need. Mono->B-Format panner provides
only angle controls.
So from what I can understand, if I apply doppler effect, distance
attenuation and other pre-process filters to a mono input and then push
it through the panner plugin I get fairly correct representation of
sound in 3D space. Right?

I failed to find anything discussing mixing in AMB. Can I just sum the
channels of all sounds, like I would do it to any
"direct-speaker-to-channel" formats?