[LAD] OSC Practices

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Tue Jun 1 20:01:09 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 08:51 PM, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Ill just say my 2 cents regarding point number 1:
>
>     1. the track order is reversed, the first track being at the bootom
>
> It seems that's the way with most physical controllers too, I've got an
> Akai LPD8,
> and "bottom-left" counts from pad 1, upwards. See the following image of
> an Akai 16 pad:
> http://www.jmsinfo.com/images/Akai_MPD18_MIDI_USB_Drumpad.jpg

Okay, thanks for this info.

> I'm not sure how your program works internally as to what the best
> solution is to
> solving this problem.
>
> In my WIP project/ /I've used LibLO for OSC, and create a function in my
> Sampler class which
> takes an *int* parameter as for which pad to play. This seems a pretty
> clean solution to me,
> however as I say, I havent looked at your sources as to what's the best
> implementation.

Really, my question isn't about the implementation. I am asking about OSC
protocol best design practices, in general. This is not Jackbeat specific at all
to me.

What about the in/out symmetry that I mentioned? Should the track position go
into the path or be passed as a value? Should indexes be zero-based? Etc..

To be honest, I am very confused about the idea that OSC is some kind of MIDI
successor. The MIDI protocol is a rather defined, with notes, CC, etc..

Whereas OSC just looks like a generic RPC mechanism, thus requiring some
development knowledge or custom-made tools.

--
  Olivier