[LAD] qjackctl & server name

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Jun 7 14:11:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 01:59:09PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> qjackctl -n command line option is just convenient for you to start jackd
> server with that precise server name and let qjackctl connect immediately
> to it as client to that same server.

That is the only case you need it as a command line option.

The thing that is currently rather clumsy is that if
you want to run two qjackctl and jackd, is that each
requires two separate steps that must be coordinated.

You have to 1) start qjackctl with the -n option (command
line), then 2) select the corresponding preset (GUI), and
start it. If the server name were part of each preset this
would be much simpler: start qjackctl, select a preset,
start it.

I see no good reason for not making the server name a
preset item. It is a parameter that defines a jack session
just as all preset elements do, and in case you run two
or more servers, a required one. Provide a sensible default,
as you do for the server path, and most people won't even
notice it.

Ciao,

--
FA