[LAD] qjackctl & server name

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jun 7 19:24:03 UTC 2010

On 06/07/2010 02:59 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 08:18:23 -0400, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com>
> <snip>
>>
>> Hold on a second. Let me try walking through this.
>>
>> We start qjackctl. Does it connect to a jack server at this point?
>> If so,
>> always or only if jack is currently running.
>>

> it connects only if jackd is currently running.

..and if the interface the running jackd uses matches the one in the
currently active qjackctl setup.

qjackctl (0.3.6.22 and jackd-1.9.6) here launches a new jackd even if
jackd is running but using a different interface (eg. jackd is using
hw:1 and the activated qjackctl setup says hw:0)

I'd like qjackctl to always connect to an existing server if the
jack-server name matches (see the "two reasons for jack2" thread).

Is that possible?

>> In cases where it might connect on startup, must it?
>>

> no. again it only connects automatically iif a (default) server is
> found responsive to open qjackctl as one of its clients.

It must be even more exclusive. I have a responsive default server
running and qjackctl does not connect to it.

Please define "responsive to open qjackctl";
It certainly responds to ardour2, mplayer, jack-rack, patchage...