[LAD] axonlib

Jeremy jeremybubs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 07:30:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM, ccernn <cern.th.skei at gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm new to lists like this, and don't know how to reply to specific posts
> in a discussion.. (teach me?)
>
> some clarification is needed for axonlib (earlier post), i guess...
>
> yes, axonlib is:
>
> >> "standalone/vst-plugin library for linux/win32"
>
> but the plan/idea is to expand the 'vst' part to other plugin formats too,
> linux things like ladspa, dssi, (lv2), and a future mac port is possible.
> support for the various plugin/binary formats of course depends on the
> platform you compile for. there's no point in compiling a lv2 for windows,
> for example...  vst and standalone binary (exe) is probably the most
> 'universal', since they exists for all three major platforms..
> and it's also good to be able to compile in one batch, (from a script) to
> all supported formats and platforms, with no changes to the source code...
>
> and
>
> >> " But the standalone part doesn't quite make sense"
>
> some things can be nice to have available as a standalone binary on linux,
> for example to use with jack.. ( but we're missing some parts for
> standalones yet, audio and midi i/o being some of them :-/ haven't decided
> on which lib/backend yet, possibly portaudio/midi )
>
> and, it helps development a lot, when you can compile to an exe/binary and
> run it from within an ide or something, and test various small changes
> almost instantly, than needing to go through the often lengthy process of
> starting up a host, and load the plugin there,
>
> - ccernn

A little confused here.  Is it an audio processor that can be used in many
different forms, or is it a host for other plugins?  The fact that it has a
standalone version makes me think that it is an audio processor, but I'm
still not sure exactly what it does with the audio.  I thought that it was a
plugin host at first.  Please explain exactly what it does.  When you say
"using this" or "supporting that" I have no idea what sense of support you
mean, like being able to call other interfaces using that system, or
actually being ported to that system so your library is usable under it.

Please be very clear:  What exactly can I do with my audio using this? How
exactly would I do it?  Is there any comparable software?  How is this
different from other software?  Run me through a setup of how I would do a
specific task using this program.

Also, I don't think lv2 is necessarily useless on windows.  It's simply an
api, not based on the OS.

Jeremy