[LAD] Jack Session

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Jun 8 08:57:42 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Louigi Verona's message of 2010-06-08 10:07:35 +0200:
> Guys!
> There has been some talk about Jack Session, but no big official
> announcements. In fact, not even a clear concept.
>
> I understand that it is all in very early development, but can someone
> please clearly describe the concept, how it is planned to work, etc.
>

> Louigi.

I can only give it to you in brief since I neither now technical details
nor was able to use it yet.

The aim is to be able to save and restore sessions, which means a set of
programs, their internal state (save and load projects etc.) and
connections. In this sense it's very similar to what lash was supposed
to do. Lash apparently was hard to work with and was an external library
that could often be disabled, which some packagers did, which caused
problems. Jack session is part of jack, so if a program supports it it
supports it. It's supposed to be relatively simple to implement for the
programmer, which should help with adoption. For the user it's supposed
to be as simple as hitting 'save' and be done with it. What I'm
still wondering about is where the programs data (audio etc.) is stored,
but I believe this is a controversial topic in any case.

There is no jack release with jack session support yet. It is in
jack1-svn and tschack-git, I don't know about the jack2 status.

There are to my knowledge at this point two session managers, pyjacksm
[1] and qjackctl-svn. pyjacksm is supposed to be controlled via CLI, the included
tray icon or jsweeper [3].

As stated before, I couldn't get it to work yet, so there might still be
some kinks to be worked out on the session management and possibly also
client side.

[1] http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/jack_session
[2] http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/Dev/JackSession
[3] http://svn.fuzzle.org/jsweeper/trunk/
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan