[LAD] mailing-list problems - was: axonlib (last one)

ccernn cern.th.skei at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:21:54 UTC 2010

Robin Gareus <robin at ...> writes:

> On 06/08/2010 05:11 PM, ccernn wrote:
> > sorry...
> > no 'reply' butttons (thunderbird)
>
> Thunderbird 3.0.4  has reply-to-all and reply-to-list buttons.
> They are displayed by default. Maybe you've 'customized' them away?

hmmm, i have a reply, and a reply-to-all, but no reply-to-list, and i've done no
customization or setup changes..

i got a few emils just after the announcement, and replied to them, thinking
they would pop up in the list, like i've seen the threads when browsing the
archives from http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/
but they didn't arrive...

then i tried all reply links in the postings when reading the list archive...
they were mailto: links, so thunderbird popped up. but, some way or another,
thunderbird messes up the mailto: adresses, multiple @@'s in there, with ' and
other weird charachers...

might be my thunderbird setup that is f**ked???

> > or any other link (list archives)
>
> The top-most (aka first) link in the email-archive is a 'mailto:' URL
> which opens a window to send a reply to the list. It does not cite the
> message but it includes the in-reply-to header.
>
> eg.
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2010-June/027951.html
>
> > i tried has worked so far, so i give up.
> > i don't have the patience for these things...
> > at least i tried..
>
> There are a few thousand subscribers to this list which have no problem
> at using the "reply to all" or "reply to list" button or shortcut.
>
> Sorry to hear that you're running into problems. I wonder why our
> list-admin (CCed) has not yet replied to this - probably because the
> Subject is misleading - If you're interested why the default reply does
> not go to the list, read: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> It looks like you just claimed the: "You're the 10000th subscriber and
> win the reply-to-list problem" award

:-) me thinking that "i can't figure this out, and i can't find any docs or
info, so i want to do something else instead of being frustrated"...

> > i just wanted to let you know that there's something new out there, that
> > some of you might find interesting, that's all...
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Once you're over the initial email-list frustration, you may want to
> announce it on http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-announce
> Doing so should be easier: LAA is a one-way email-list: no replies and
> it would help to gain publicity for axonlib. There's quite a few
> news-feeds, packagers and software indexers/archivers watching there.

yes, thought about that too, but didn't know what was acceptable ('netiquette')
cc'ing these two places...
will do the next time i have something new/major to announce.

> > if there's any questions, ask in our discussion group instead
> > (http://groups.google.com/group/axonlib), or email me directly...
> > or in the discussion thread over at kvr-audio
> > (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=288888)
> > - ccernn
>
> Cheers!
> robin
>
> PS. there are various 3rd Party services that allow to post to this
> email-list using just a web-browser. Some even look like a web-forum:
> eg. http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.devel

yeah, let's see now, if gmane is working better for me
and thanx (to all) for trying to sort this out..

sorry to fill up your mailing lists with this crap...
not on purpose..

- ccernn