[LAD] Does noiseshaping affect quantisation noise?

Jussi Laako jussi at sonarnerd.net
Sun Jun 13 10:10:29 UTC 2010

On 06/07/2010 11:41 PM, Philipp wrote:
> My guess is that quantisation noise is only something present between
> the input signal and its digital representation, and hence no change of
> the digital representations can do anything about it.

It also applies always when the change in digital representation cannot
represent the same resolution. For example when you convert from "float"
to "short" you can quite freely play with the noise. You cannot remove
it, but you can move it around to reduce it's masking effect on a signal
(local SNR).

Someone might have fancier wording for it.