[LAD] meta issue tracker idea

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jun 13 12:14:58 UTC 2010

On 06/10/2010 04:11 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Tue, June 8, 2010 1:35 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:

>>> That should be good enough for most people.

>>> Agreed.

>>> It's looking quite useful already. Another idea is to aggregate the bugs
>>> as they are fixed and maintain a record for the most active projects. I
>>> s'pose most of that data can be extracted directly from the trackers? As
>>> in no need for us to write a database specifically for that info.
>>>
>> Alas that's not so simple with most systems.
>> Only trac is good at that - providing a feed or statistics for recently
>> resolved and closed bugs, that is.
>>
>> MantisBT requires the administrator to create a filter [1] and I don't
>> think it's even possible with the sourceforge tracker. SF.net provides
>> their own statistics but there's no feed for those.
>> If googlecode-issue-tracker can do it it's a feature well hidden.
>> I have not checked flyspray, bugzilla and debbugs.
>>
>> so long,
>> robin
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.futureware.biz/blog/index.php?title=rss_feeds_in_mantis_1_0_0a3&more=1
>>

> That makes that idea fairly difficult to implement in the short term.
>
> So far we have the list of apps being tracked on the right hand column,
> and add/submit link and the actual feeds. You suggested an extension that
> allows tickets to be tracked cross app but I think that is a lot of effort
> for minimal gain at this point as there isn't yet a huge user base for the
> tracker portal.
>
> I think it would be useful for the idea if we could bring out the user
> contribution side a little more before building code to handle cross app
> bug tracking.
>
> Maybe a few links to add a new ticket, join the project and donate if the
> project has that facility that could be displayed next to each project
> and/or item in each feed?

Adding extra information is not a big deal. The problem is: All trackers
require a user to log in in order to access the "submit ticket" page..
and the minority of them has OpenID or OAuth enabled.

Clicking on the link in the "Subscriptions" sidebar already gets you to
the main site of each trackers from where you can proceed to "add
ticket" if you're logged in there.

If you want to go ahead and improve the layout: I can give you write
permissions on linuxaudio.org:/var/lib/planet/templates/ and
/etc/planet-bugs.conf

One idea would be to create a linuxaudio account on all upstream
trackers and provide a form on LAO that submits tickets upstream using
this account; but it'd be a major task to do so: SPAM filtering,
aggregate upstream versions & options; templates for the multitude of
different trackers out there etc etc, not to mention handling email
notifications that come back from the trackers.

2c,
robin