[LAD] minimal LV2

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Sun Jun 13 20:50:56 UTC 2010

On 13 June 2010 21:17,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:58:11PM -0400, Jeremy wrote:
>
>> I would like to add that as a beginner to LV2 plugins, I found the use of
>> urls to be *extremely* confusing.
>
> Glad to know I'm not the only one.
>
>> If your goal is to have documentation easily accessible, then a line
>> <docurl=http://blah> would serve the purpose just as well.  The way it's
>> currently set up, you have no idea if the URL is dereferenceable, or even
>> supposed to be dereferenceable.
>
> I've been wondering what is the purpose of things like:
>
> @prefix :     <http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core#> .
> @prefix rdf:  <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> @prefix xsd:  <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema> .
> @prefix doap: <http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#> .
> @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
>
> where 'doap' stands for 'Description Of A Project', and
> 'foaf' for 'Friend Of A Friend'.
>
> If this has to be part of an LV2 plugin somehow (and it's not
> clear if it has to be or not), AND whatever software that is
> reading this is *not* supposed to follow these links and find
> some information there, what is the purpose ?
>
> If these things are not a required part of any LV2 file, what
> are they doing in the documentation (except confusing people) ?
>
> I'm more and more convinced that people creating these sort of
> thing entertain the illusion that they somehow create meaning
> while there is none. It looks more like an extreme form of
> illiteracy, a complete failure to convey meaning in a form that
> makes sense to a human.

I think I understood this to be similar to C++ 'using namespace std;'
and with the same consequences as omitting 'using namespace std;' to a
C++ file.

I did also find it all very confusing, which was a partial influence
over the LADSPA plugins I ported to LV2 last year becoming
abandon-ware.

A tool to auto generate the rdf from a basic template would be nice.

james.