[LAD] minimal LV2

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jun 14 07:34:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, June 13, 2010 5:46 pm, Geoff Beasley wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 10:23 AM, Jeremy wrote:
>> They already have a well established and universally recognized use, and
>> this use doesn't fall under that category.
>
> ...and in that one line you have explained the entire basis of this
> discussion. well done you ;)
>
> will it change anything?? who knows, but it's a good starting point from
> a laymans' point of view. as an enthusiastic LV2 user I wonder how many
> other devs have balked at this and just walked away from LV2...

I think this is more a problem of presentation of the documentation than
anything else. I looked at this a few months back and was unable to come
up with anything at the time that would improve on the situation.

The LV2 website and documentation seems to be in a weird middle ground
between academic, professional and laissez faire attitude. To me it makes
it all come off as not quite hitting the potential it offers. This seems
to have a follow on affect on Developers who are new to LV2 which in turn
sours the overall experience.

IMO the LV2 website and docs needs some (paid ?) attention from a good PR
and marketing company to spruce it up and present it in a professional and
accessible manner.

This is not intended to be a knock on the efforts that have been made
already. Just that it seems the people who have been doing the work may
not have been the most appropriate people for that job.

As in, I wouldn't expect my mechanic to be good at marketing and I
wouldn't ask my hairdresser to fix my car either.

Unfortunately this kind of work generally costs a lot of money and as LV2
is not sponsored by an organisation it makes it pretty unlikely to get
done.

Of course on saying that there are plenty of people round here who have
experience in PR and marketing so maybe they would like to take some
initiative with this one?

Dave Robillard has already offered to give his support for that effort if
people provide some concrete options and ideas for how to make it happen.
I will also be happy to assist with technical issues as time permits.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.