[LAD] Fwd: Re: SPOOFED: Re: meta issue tracker idea

Philipp hollunder at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 14 13:51:03 UTC 2010

--- Begin forwarded message from Philipp Überbacher ---
From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>
To: Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:31:40 +0200
Subject: Re: SPOOFED: Re: [LAD] meta issue tracker idea

Sorry, this message went to Robin only by accident.

Excerpts from Robin Gareus's message of 2010-06-13 14:14:13 +0200:
> The motivations are clear - you may have gotten some details wrong (eg
> Paul is working on quite a lot besides ardour) -  but the tenor is right.

What I meant was that he never implemented anything that could have
solved the session management issue in ardour, be it lash, any of its
predecessors or anything more recent. I know that torben worked on a
jack_session patch for ardour, but as long as it's not in ardour it
doesn't help much. The reasons for this could be manifold and I won't
speculate at this point.

> The problem is: how to implement and maintain it? Just setting up a
> tracker is easy; getting people to use and listen to it is the first
> hurdle. Integrating it with upstream trackers the second.
>
> Do you know of a system up for the task that we can install without
> large development on our side?
>
> If you have a good idea or elegant prototype, we can hook you up to
> manage the tracker.linuxaudio.org vhost. None of the people involved in
> LAO [1] are currently available for such a task; well, maybe Patrick is?!
>
> Cheers!
> robin
>
> [1] http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/consortium/2010-April/002036.html

I think you're thinking more complicated than I did initially. Who says
a custom tracker, the possibility of integration with upstream trackers
and whatever other fancy stuff you guys came up with is really
necessary? I appreciate the input and ideas and I agree that it would be
nice, but necessary? Are you sure it's not more trouble than worth at
this point? If a custom tracker should be developed at some point, then
it shouldn't happen behind LAD doors but together with other parties who
could benefit from it and likely have more expertise in that area.

The closest existing thing I know is http://openhatch.org/, which pulls
all or some bugs from lots of trackers, but I'm not sure it's close to
what is needed here.
My idea for the near future was to simply use an existing wiki, possibly
on linuxaudio.org (mainly because of the domain name). In the simplest
form I believe, tags could be used for applications (to find all issues
involving the specific app), pages for the issues and page subscriptions
for notification. I'm no expert on wikis, so I'm not sure whether there
are more features that could be used to fulfill more of what we'd
want.

--- End forwarded message ---
--
Regards,
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan