[LAD] minimal LV2

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:15:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:

>>     foomatic-eq_1.0.0-5_i386
>>
>> Where everyone has to be careful about dashes, underscores, dots,
>> and how version numbers are handled.
>
> Are you suggesting that URLs/URIs/URNs have some native
> 'typo-resilience' that simple human readable text would
> not have ? :-)

Ha!  No. :-)  But they do have better syntax-creep
resistance.

I was thinking along the lines of Debian's rules for how
binary package (.deb) files are named.[1] The underscore
becomes a field separator, and in some contexts the dash '-'
becomes a micro-separator.

But maybe that example doesn't apply so well.  But it's a
similar battle:  trying to avoid naming collisions.

>> ... The host application has to already have support for it.
>
> This is the first really informative answer, many thanks.

Glad I could help!

-gabriel

[1] I'm not picking on Debian.  I think all distros
     have some kind of scheme like this.