[LAD] audio/midi app development

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Tue Jun 15 15:27:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

Is it common experience when (design/code/test module repeat) a real
time audio or (as in my case) MIDI application, that, as soon as you
finally solve a problem that's been bugging you for ages, and take a
step forward, you immediately step upon another whopping great pile of
@#$!???

It's taken me at least four months so far to get as far as I have with
my app. There is still not a single MIDI message emitted from it yet.
It has a GTK GUI with almost as much as 0.01% of the features the GUI
will eventually require.

I've been pretty obsessed with it, spending a high percentage of my
spare time attempting to code this.

Incidentally, if I want the GUI to update very close to real time, say
a grid of blocks flashing on and off as notes come and go, any
thoughts? Would a GTK GUI update fast enough? I'm also wondering about
going for an "Immediate Mode" GUI using SDL, possibly with OpenGL, I'm
unsure... It's a way off yet, I'm concentrating on getting the engine
working without a UI first.

Cheers,
James.