[LAD] qjackctl & server name

Wed Jun 16 00:53:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 22:37 +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:26:16PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > but in a "normal" desktop environment they should not stack up, the one
> > just replaces the one before, which stays there for 3 seconds maximum.
>
> They don't stack up, but even without that the automatic
> retrial is just a big nuisance. In 99.99% of all cases it
> doesn't help, it just keeps on repeating itself, and there
> is no way to stop it.  At least, [Retry?] should be an
> option, but even that is quite useless as pressing [Start]
> again is just as easy.
>
> When starting Jackd fails, two windows pop up. My first reaction
> is to click [Setup] to find out what's wrong. So now we have
> three windows (plus the main one) open. Editing the setup (if
> the error is there) doesn't help, and getting out of all this
> is just a big mess as Qjackctl won't accept the main close
> button as long as any other of its windows is open (why ?),
> and they just keep coming back.
>
> So *please* remove this, it's just a big nuisance and I don't
> see in what situation it could ever be useful.

I have found the qjackctl automatic retry to not help at all as well.

I would really like for it to go away - is it configurable somehow?
(sorry if this was mentioned in the thread, I have only had time lately
to skim through the lists - where does time go??).

This is how it (does not) work(s) in my case (0.3.6):

- point to a non existing card on purpose so that jackd can't start
- press "Start"
- jackd does not start :-)
- qjackctl pops up a window that says:
  "Error: Jack Audio Connection Kit", etc, etc.
- click on "Cancel" (the only option it shows).
- click on "Setup" to fix the problem
- qjackctl pops up the error window again before I'm done
- it has _focus_ so I can't continue working on the "Setup" panel
LABEL AGAIN:
- click on "Cancel" again
- keep working on "Setup"
- if (managed to fix problem) GOTO FIXED
LABEL WHAT?:
- pop up window shows up again (I'm old and slow)
- GOTO AGAIN

LABEL FIXED:
- if (do nothing and wait a bit) GOTO WHAT?

- give up and press "Start", jackd starts fine.

Not useful. Not even retrying once. I can't think of a situation where
jackd fails to start on the first time and will on the second try a few
seconds later.

-- Fernando