[LAD] audio/midi app development

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 16 20:13:15 UTC 2010

hermann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 16.06.2010, 21:48 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>
>> Paul Davis wrote:

>>> the limits under discussion relate to monitor technology, not human
>>> capabilities.
>>>

>> 100 Hz for a 32-bit Linux install and 89.9 Hz for my 64-bit Linux
>> installs on my machine. I guess I could increase the VF. Anyway,
>>
>> NTSC 60 Hz, 480 vertical pixels (digital 525 analog to anolog ;)
>>
>> PAL (50 Hz, 576vertical pixel (digital anlog to anlog 625 *lol*)
>>
>> Sorry, it's a Wiki on German only, but even the translation is
>> unimportant, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildwiederholfrequenz.
>>
>> Musicians are musicians and of course the today so called 'savant
>> syndrome' isn't an exception for musicians.
>>
>> The yardstick for musicians isn't the same as for 'consumers'.
>>
>> Phew, I know a lot of other jobs, were I could become rich, but instead
>> I'm addicted to music.
>>
>> There might be some (so called) savants, who need a GUIs that will
>> refresh near to 100Hz.
>>
>> Do you program consumer software or apps for professionals?
>>
>> A rhetorical question.
>>
>> In a perfect world, a GUI at least should refresh around 75
>> times/second. AGAIN I don't need it, but it's a valid wish for people
>> who are able to 'watch faster'.
>>
>> - Ralf
>>

> 25 times/second is good for me
>
> greats  hermann

Regarding to music around 6 times for the GUI would be good enough for
me. But some musicians might wish to have a visual control that is much
better, because they are able to notice it. Computers today do have at
least an operation code frequency around 1 GHz, so sync for the GUI
shouldn't be an issue. Hm, I'm an old dino, I did program for the C64
and some other computers on assembler ... much slower than computers
today, but regarding to MIDI much nearer to the humans recording.

There is an issue for MIDI real-time ... btw. it's not really better for
Windows PCs, but it's much better for some stand-alone MIDI equipment
and the C64 or Atari ST.