[LAD] A question about LV2 audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 18 08:24:40 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org
> <mailto:rncbc at rncbc.org>> wrote:
>

>     there's no limitation on lv2.
>
>     i think you misunderstood something, but any lv2 host has obvious
>     access
>     to the audio stream produced by _any_ plugin. how could it be
>     otherwise?
>
>     your question seems to pertain on rendering audio that is produced
>     by midi
>     instrument plugins _faster_than_realtime_ .
>
>     i also think you are inferring from qtractor as the sequencer. that's
>     true: qtractor cannot render midi instruments audio in no other
>     way than
>     real-time. so that for you to export the whole session (song or
>     project)
>     you'll have to bounce (record) all midi instruments audio output
>     into spare
>     audio tracks and then, when all is perfectly realigned to
>     compensate for
>     round-trip delay, you can mix-down and export all audio tracks into a
>     single audio file.
>
>     theoretically, any jack-midi plugin host can do the
>     faster-then-realtime
>     trick, thanks to the jack-freewheel mode of operation. alas,
>     qtractor is
>     not a jack-midi host, although it does the freewheel dance to
>     export audio,
>     as ardour2 does. speaking of which, ardour3 may well confirm this
>     theory ;)
>
>     cheers
>     --
>     rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
>     rncbc at rncbc.org <mailto:rncbc at rncbc.org>
>

> How is that done on Windows then? I never heard of any problems there?
> When you use VST, it renders them fine
> and Windows has no JACK.
>
> ps: sorry if my questions are silly, I really am trying to understand

Are you asking for doing a stereo mastering without playing and
recording the song? I wonder if this is needed. Anyway, I'm not sure if
I do understand what exactly you are asking for by the word 'rendering'.
Is the host Qtractor? And do DSSI plugs what you want?  I guess 'we' do
misunderstand what you're asking for, by your first email.