[LAD] GPL and plugins

Luis Garrido luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 22 01:08:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Victor Lazzarini
<Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie> wrote:
> The plugin is just a Free software plugin, that is GPL, distributed in
> binary form and source code etc. It is written as a plugin, so it can be
> used by any host of the same API. The host will load this plugin instead of
> the proprietary non-free plugin that it replaces. The plugin is made
> available separately, but is also bundled with the host, which loads it
> automatically.
>
> My reasons for asking this are that I was asked to write such a plugin and
> i) I don't normally do proprietary software; ii) I don't like to reinvent
> the wheel. If I can't provide a free solution, I may as well not take the
> job.

Ok, again this is my personal, legally unqualified opinion, but it
would seem then that the LGPL might be perhaps the solution for your
case. Your plugin is still free software, open source, but the
licensee is allowed to link proprietary code to it and distribute it.

If you don't want anyone else than your clients to distribute your
plugin along proprietary code you can license it to them under the
LGPL and to the rest of the world under the GPL, as it is your right
as the copyright holder.