[LAD] Better lossless compressions?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:38:45 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 22 June 2010, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 22:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And is there a snowballs chance in hell that this is un-encumbered?
>>
>> <http://electronicdesign.com/tabid/57/default.aspx?topic=algorithm_deliv
>>ers_lossless_compression_to_adc_samples&catpath=&fltrTitle=&fltrSummary=&
>>fltrPublication.aspx?nl=1>
>
>from TFA:
>: Implemented in a DSP chip or microprocessor, this simple compressor
>: requires about 50 instructions per sample. However, lossless
>: compression ratios fall between 1.3:1 and 2:1 on baseband signals.
>
>So a size of 75% expected and on occasion down to 50% after compression.
>How is that compared to existing implementations?

It was the lossless claim that got my attention, Jens.  I am well aware that
current compressors can beat that at "acceptable" quality.  But an ogg at q7
turned into an  192k mp3, or vice-versa, results in a blurred cacophony of
noise because each compressor throws away different stuff.  The result is
still like fingernails on a backboard even to these 75 year old ears.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)