[LAD] Can someone add 2 features to Kluppe?

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:02:22 UTC 2010

Hello guys!
I would like to ask any of the developers who might be interested to help a
musician out!
Original Kluppe developer seems very busy these days. And his programm lacks
two things I really need for my musical work.
I am ready to pay for the work. All the details below.

*1. Feature 1 - random play.*

When on Windows, I wrote a simple programm for myself, called Tape Loops. It
could play sounds either once or in a loop. The special function which I
added to it was "random play". What it did was allow you to define a period
of time in seconds. And the programm would trigger the sound randomly
somewhere within this period. So, if the period is 20 seconds, the programm
would play the sound either in 5 seconds, or in 10 or in 7 or in 20. When
the sounds stops playing, the timer is reset and the program once more
chooses a random moment to trigger the sound within the given period. By
changing the period the musician can make the sound get triggered more often
or less often.

The demo of how this program works can be viewed here:
http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=software&t=tapeloops&a=tapeloops_tapeloops1

It is a great feature - it helps a lot an ambient composer like myself and
is greatly useful for installations.
On Linux I have tried some programming, but even setting up JACK is very
difficult for me, I am absolutely not a strong desktop programmer. So
writing something like that from scratch on Linux is not realistic for me. I
tried Kluppe, which is the closest thing, it is a great piece of software,
but I studied the code for several days, tried some things, but apart from
changing the colors, I do not seem to be able to do anything meaningful.

So I would like to ask someone to do this job for me. To add a timer to a
kluppe looper and to allow this "random play" mode, where the musician can
put a looper into random play mode and define the period.

*2. Feature 2 - basic midi control.*

Looking through Kluppe code, I saw that a lot of midi is already done, but
it is not "attached" to the controls. I might be wrong and there may be more
work than it seems, but anyway. I would want to be able to assign midi
control to triggering loops, volume and panning - at least that. Otherwise,
Kluppe is very difficult to use in a live performance.

However, instead of proposing to allow to create separate controls for each
looper like they have in SooperLooper, I would advice (and actually, ask for
this feature to be implemented in such a manner) to instead go for the
Selected looper scheme. So that one would not need a dozen of knobs to
control things. There should be an ability to have one "Selected" looper.
Similar to what Dj Traktor Studio has. So you are binding midi not to a
definite looper, but to the Selected looper, and thus you would require only
two knobs (vol, pan) and three buttons (play/stop, Prev looper, Next
looper).

*3. Payment.*

I understand that all of the above might be not as simple as it seems to me
now. I would be willing to pay, as much as I can. I am able to pay through
PayPal. I do not know how much money is a normal pay for such work, but I
think something can be arranged. If I am not able to pay up instantly, I am
willing to pay for several months in a row to cover the necessary expenses.
I will also ask around on forums if someone will join me and also donate
some money - while my random play function is probably too specific and is
only something for me, midi control in Kluppe is something I believe many
people would want.

Thank you for your attention and I hope someone gets interested in the
request!

Louigi Verona.
http://www.louigiverona.ru/