[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 11:51:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from alex stone's message of 2010-03-19 10:09:04 +0100:
>> Incidentally, there is an excellent app called jm2cv that does a good
>> job of "converting" cv data to jackmidi (and vice versa) written by
>> Peter Nelson. (See the non-mixer webpage for details)
>>
>> So if your particular app of choice has midi out for automation, you
>> can direct it to a CV in port for, as an example, fader control in
>> non-mixer.
>> Just start jm2cv, and ports in and out of it in your favourite patchbay.
>>
>> Simple stuff.
>>
>> Alex.
>> --
>> www.openoctave.org
>
> Thanks for telling us about this app Alex, it sounds like it could
> become an important piece in the puzzle if cv gets more popular.
>
> On the topic:
> I think once jack_session is established and we have a well working
> session management for every app automation is one of the things that
> will need more attention.
> There are other areas as well that will become more relevant:
> - proper syncing, in all its forms
> - save format backwards compatibility
> - everything else that can be shared among multiple apps..
>
>  Philipp

You're welcome.

Your list is a good one, and i'd add here, that with the right
management of a CV format data stream, it might also prove useful
across a cluster of boxes, for those that drive headless rigs. I've
added this in direct relation to a Jack-session project scenario, and
has already been discussed some time ago, Fons did remark that a CV
type port in the jack structure would be useful, and somewhat
predictably i guess, given my enthusiasm for this, i agree with him.

I'm not sure what the code for CV would be like to implement, but
given the 1:1 nature of the data stream, and previous conversations
with devs about CV, it seems to be a fairly simple addition, codewise.

Maybe some thing that can be enthused about across the linux audio
community in a fit of togetherness. :)

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org