[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 21 00:05:19 UTC 2010

On Saturday 20 March 2010, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>> It is now at least 15 years past due for a new, far faster, and more
>> expressive protocol.  Something based on the TOS connector or similar
>> relatively inexpensive hardware interface that can handle 100x midi's
>> traffic on a single, daisy chain-able connection.  I'd suggest 1394B, but
>> in a setup and tear down every night scenario, I don't see that as being
>> as rugged as a plastic optical fiber.
>
>uhmmm ... MIDI over USB or MIDI over ethernet is as flexible and fast
>as what you suggest, and already exist. The transport and physical
>layer aspects of MIDI are already going away. What remains is the
>actual message format and contents.
>
>--p

Which is in bad need of a major overhaul itself as I stated.  What I'd like
to see is a new protocol statement prepared and an RFQ issued, so that the
whole industry could continue to 'stay on the same page'.

And I just discovered that you sent it privately, but kmail filtered on the
address and put it in the LAD folder.  No matter.

At the same time, I don't really have a working oar in this discussion, its
more of a comment along the lines of not seeing history repeat some of its
uglier mistakes over the last 75 years I have been observing it. ;-)

Take Care Paul.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Wash: "Can I suggest something that doesn't involve violence, or is this the
wrong crowd for that?"
				--"Serenity"