[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 22 14:59:12 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:
> fons wrote:
>
> "Sequencers do this, but the possibilities are usually
> rather limited."
>
> Hm. Man, I must challenge this statement. "Limited" is of course a
> very general and relative term, but in
> sequencers I used - FL Studio, Ableton Live and actually even latest
> LMMS - you basically can automate
> almost any parameter, almost any knob or control you see. I am not
> sure this state can be called "rather
> limited". It is functional enough for me and most other musicians in
> the world.
>
> By automation I do not necessarily mean the software remembering how
> you turn knobs - it can be just a
> graph. When it does remember your turning, it still stores it as same
> graphs, at least in FL Studio.
>
> Louigi.

For filters etc. most times just 128 steps are enough, hardware synth
tend to use just 128 steps even when using SysEx instead of CC. The only
problem can become the traffic when recording data without quantisation
and when not using a separated MIDI port for SysEx or super-mega-much CC
data. Less SysEx even is a problem when not using separated MIDI IOs.
Quantisation can't be used when recording, resp. playing such recorded data.