[LAD] Composite 0.006 Released (LV2 Sampler)

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 02:30:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> If we get rid of the sequencer, what is so good about Hydrogen's sample
> engine that I'd want to reuse it instead of something else (other than
> compatibility with existing sample kits)?

Good question.  I often hear on LAD and LAU:

   1. I wish I could have Hydrogen as a plugin so I don't
      have to load it's whole GUI or use its
      @NEGATIVE_COMMENT@ step-sequencer.

   2. I wish Hydrogen had a JACK MIDI port. (This is
      actually a variation on #1 because someone wants
      to use it with a sequencer like non-sequencer
      or with a Wiimote-as-midi-controller).

   3. I wish there was something like specimen as a
      plugin.  Why specimen?  Because if you're editing
      a bank of sound clips from "The Simpons" rather
      than a Piano, it makes more sense from a user
      perspective.

AFAIK, there is nothing (except /maybe/ linuxsampler +
gigedit) that currently meets this need.  If you can name
some others, please do.

Composite needs a sampler like this as a core part of the
application.  I can't use linuxsampler because I disagree
with its license.  So, I've been refactoring Hydrogen's
sampler to meet Composite's needs... and I'm doing it in a
way so that other people can benefit even if they don't want
to use Composite.

And this literally benefits everyone, no matter what your
DSP design philosophy:  everything-as-a-plugin (LV2), "the
modular way" (lv2_jack_host), and monolithic apps
(libTritium).

-gabriel